FYR Diagnostics is expanding its team with a Lab Manager to facilitate the organization and operation of our Missoula research laboratory by managing daily laboratory operations and workflow. This position requires creating and maintaining an efficient workplace structure to support ongoing research efforts. All positions at FYR Diagnostics necessitate an appreciation of people and an ability to recognize and nurture the strengths and skills of fellow coworkers.
Start Date: Available immediately. Start Date Negotiable.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Develop working knowledge of existing Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and draft new procedures to optimize lab workflow
- Ongoing communication with management to maintain daily and weekly workflows
- Assist with the onboarding of new lab-based team members by taking lead on required lab training
- Development and oversight of lab workflow and lab maintenance responsibilities, including planning, implementing, and delegating daily, weekly, and monthly lab tasks
- Tracking and assisting with laboratory inventory and purchasing. This includes the use and maintenance of the current lab inventory management system, including organization and tracking of received inventory, manuals, receipts, and invoices.
- Reagent, chemical, and sample preparation, upkeep, and organization
- Quality control for reagents, assays, and experimental procedures
- Create, maintain, monitor, and implement biosafety protocols
- The Lab Manager will provide guidance and assistance with conflict resolution in conjunction with the VP of Operations. Candidates must be comfortable with this role in addition to daily management tasks
Required Skills and/or Experience:
- Familiarity with standard operating procedures regarding laboratory biological safety requirements
- Understanding and familiarity with preparing stock solutions of buffers and reagents
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Comfortable with independence in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- The ability and motivation to assess both team and individual feedback to help facilitate lab cohesion and workflow
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and other web-based applications, including communication and project management tools
Required Education: Bachelor’s degree or higher in Biochemistry, Biology, Chemistry, or a related field with 2+ years of post-graduate laboratory experience. M.S. or Ph.D. preferred.
Desired Skills and/or Experience:
- Prior experience performing laboratory management duties
- Basic understanding of the principles of common nucleic acid extraction, detection, and amplification techniques
- Project leadership, management, and/or startup experience in a related field
- Familiarity with GLP standards and/or experience working in a CLIA-certified laboratory
FYR Diagnostics is a privately held biotechnology company developing a powerful portfolio of nucleic acid detection-based technologies and solutions. FYR Diagnostics’ mission is to commercialize novel technologies to aid in the diagnosis and alleviation of disease states relevant to both healthcare and agriculture. We are a team of lifelong learners who are dedicated to continuously expanding our comfort zones and becoming better scientists, team members, leaders, and people.
FYR Diagnostics is headquartered in Missoula, Montana and located along the Clark Fork River in the Montana Technology and Enterprise Center, associated with the University of Montana. The city rests in the Missoula Valley and is surrounded by five beautiful mountain ranges that converge at the valley. The Missoula area provides easy access to an assortment of outdoor activities all year round, including hiking, trail running, mountain biking/cycling, skiing/snowboarding, fishing, kayaking, white water rafting, surfing Brennan’s Wave on the Clark Fork River, and more. The diverse community offers many wonderful dining options, performing arts, breweries, distilleries, seasonal farmers markets, and many more leisure activities. Missoula is also a short drive away from some of the United States greatest national parks, including Yellowstone National Park and Glacier National Park.
Company Cultural Statement
Members of the FYR Diagnostics community strive to respect and celebrate all the qualities that make each of us unique. Each of us is empowered to be ourselves within this community, which promotes equality, diversity, and inclusion at all levels. FYR Diagnostics is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Workplace and Affirmative Action Employer and aims to cultivate a diverse pool of candidates.